[Rant] Honestly I don't mind "yellowface" if...(After watching movie "Black Like Me")

• I just watched a movie

. It was based on a true story: a white journalist used some chemicals to made himself “black-passing” and traveled to Jim Crow South to experience a firsthand racism as a “black man”. The journey was fruitful: he really experienced blatant curse and violence in the South; obstacle to find a job, get a ride, seek any help or resource; suffered from identity crisis; became mistrust white people (although in fact he was a WM in disguise). He then published a book “'Black Like Me”; and he and his wife got many death threats, hostility from fellow white people after the publication. He had to move to Mexico for several years for safety.

White media including Haolewood, always misrepresent/white-wash Asian culture by “yellowface” or cultural appropriation on the screen, which is totally deplorable. Personally, I don’t mind white people “yellowface” to live as “East Asian” for several months in white America so as to feel, to really experience what is racial oppression and how it is like to be treated as social pariah.

• Level 0 - Private

That is very interesting. I agree with you about whites having to wear our shoes and experience all the disadvantages Asians have in the US. It would be cool to see an Asian version of “Black Like Me.”

• administrators

@CivilRightsAZN said in [Rant] Honestly I don't mind "yellowface" if...(After watching movie "Black Like Me"):

He then published a book “'Black Like Me”; and he and his wife got many death threats, hostility from fellow white people after the publication. He had to move to Mexico for several years for safety.

It’s so bizarre. You have two extremes. One White guy who does the right thing and then the rest who try to kill him to prevent the truth from getting out. Whites are a race of extremes. LMFAO at whites saying

oh, stop whining. It’s all in your mind. Minorities are so privileged. The white race is under attack from all fronts.

Looks like your connection to AsianSoul was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.