Thoughts on California's new bill targeted towards only Asian-Americans?

• @secondstrike

Currently, it’s just a way for whites to placate non-Asian POC by giving them seats that belong to Asians. Meanwhile, whites are largely unharmed.

THIS.

@suiko_no_shin

The AAPI community in California has been asking for the data.

That’s interesting. My family and I are from California and we never asked for it.

• Level 1 - Sergeant

I’ve known about this for awhile now. The AAPI community in California has been asking for the data. This isn’t something they just drummed up to target Asians.

• administrators

@natalie_ng Ya, I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re trying to take away our argument.

Affirmative action was supposed to be about correcting past injustices inflicted by whites. Both NEA and SEA suffered gross injustices. This is why aff act that hurts Asians never made any sense to me.

The way aff act is implemented is so bizarre that some Asians need to campaign against something that should exist to help us.

Currently, it’s just a way for whites to placate non-Asian POC by giving them seats that belong to Asians. Meanwhile, whites are largely unharmed.

edit: it’s also done to limit Asian advancement along with their glass ceilings.

• @secondstrike

As for academic successes, we already see how they’re treating us now [same with the glass ceiling]. I can’t imagine it improving if this bill gets passed.

Yeah, they’re arguing that this bill will help SEA who struggle academically by “identifying” them but I’m not sure how that will help at all. Imo, since Asian-Americans have often argued against affirmative action by pointing to the fact that not all Asians do well in school (using SEA as an example), the liberals are probably now trying to separate SEA and NEA so that they can still impose affirmative action against NEA without harming SEA so that we can no longer use SEA as an argument against affirm. action. Of course, they’re completely trying to deny that but why else would this bill be necessary? Separating NEA and SEA isn’t going to magically make SEA do better in school.

• administrators

@natalie_ng This caught my attention

it targets only Asians and no other race.

different ethnic groups have different health problems and academic successes

Sure, but they don’t split Hispanics by white, Mestizo and Black do they? As for academic successes, we already see how they’re treating us now [same with the glass ceiling]. I can’t imagine it improving if this bill gets passed.

Looks like your connection to AsianSoul was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.