Confessions of Korean-American parent

• Level 3 - Captain

Confessions of Korean-American parent

By Jason Lim

Posted : 2016-02-19 16:19

So, my little boy just turned four and will be entering kindergarten next fall. Needless to say, I want my son to go to a good school. Luckily, Fairfax County in Northern Virginia is well-known for its good public schools. In fact, Fairfax is one of the preeminent destinations of the so-called “goose families.”

Unfortunately, the district where I live has the worst schools in the whole county. Its elementary school rating is 2 out of 10. This obviously won’t do, leading us to the penultimate question that every parent faces: Should we move to a better school district or send him to a private school?

This sounds simple, but it’s more difficult than trying to solve a differential equation on keg night. Let’s enumerate all the variables that go into this decision.

One; private school means at least $24,000 a year. And that’s for a moderately priced one. More prominent ones cost upwards of $40,000 a year. Of course, we want to be able to send our son to one of the more expensive (and famous) ones. If Malia and Natasha can go to Sidwell, why not my son?

read more http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/opinon/2016/02/352_198472.html

Looks like your connection to AsianSoul was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.